Oh gosh. This is so difficult. I’ve watched so many excellent tv mini series in my life but I’m struggling to recall all of them to make a fair judgement. I’m also excluding Avatar just because everyone knows I love it.
1. Six Feet Under. This show is absolutely phenomenal and I would advise anyone who has never seen it to at least try out a few episodes. A show that premised on death and yet it teaches you so much about life.
2. Skins. I think I’ve outgrown it now, but when it was in its first and second season it was such a complete joy to watch. The characters were some of the most vivid and entertaining people I’ve ever seen. The secret of the show was despite whatever type of person you were, there was always a character on the show you could relate to.
3. Band of Brothers. One of the most heroic, gruesome and enduring tales I ever watched. This show stays with you long after you’ve finished it.
4. Misfits. Just pure story telling perfection for the first 2 seasons. Utterly enjoyable to watch with the most deep and well rounded characters.
5. Wire in the Blood. A police procedural with the most horrifying crimes. The dynamic between the two main characters is amazing and it’s set against this backdrop of truly disgusting and often mystifying crimes. The only police show I’ve actually had to pause the video and get a cup of tea because I was too scared. Or maybe I’m just a wimp. I dunno, either way it’s very good.
Honourable mentions: Game of Thrones, LOST, Revenge.